Some good relaxation techniques can save your life because stress is more than just unpleasant. It is also dangerous to health. Disciplined practices like meditation can help relieve that stress, but what if you don’t have the time or motivation? You may need to try some of these simple ways to relax.
1. Hug someone. Giving a hug means receiving it. As long as it’s from someone who doesn’t mind hugging you, it can be really relaxing.
2. Interruption routines. Go talk to that guy who sleeps on the bench or has lunch on the roof. Anything that takes you out of your usual patterns can relieve stress.
3. Take a hot shower. Relax your muscles and any interruption to more stressful activities can also help. Some find that alternating hot and cold baths are even more relaxing.
4. Try to observe your mind. Identify the stressors that are lurking just below the surface (hunger, worry, a connection you need to make) and you can resolve them and feel more relaxed. By practicing this mindfulness exercise, it can become one of your favorite relaxation techniques.
5. Try to laugh. Your own experience shows that it helps you to relax, right? Find a guy who knows the best jokes or find something funny in front of you.
6. Use relaxing music. Store your favorite relaxation CD in the office, in the car, or wherever you need it most.
7. Leave the room for a while. This can really help if things in or around the room are triggering your stressful thoughts. Why not go out for a while?
8. Take a deep breath. Try five deep breaths through your nose. Close your eyes and pay attention only to your breathing as you do this. It is like mini-meditation and perhaps the most effective of quick relaxation techniques.
9. Drink some chamomile tea. Chamomile tea appears to have a calming effect on the nerves. Any hot tea without caffeine can be relaxing.
10. Take a walk. If you have at least ten minutes to spare, walking is one of the best relaxation techniques. In doing so, find a good place to walk.
Of course, it is ideal that you can change yourself so that you are naturally more relaxed all the time. Perhaps the idea of the work involved in it just makes the stress more. In that case, you may need to take it easy, so why not start with one or two of the simple relaxation techniques above?